potential



Everyone has changed. Everyone is constantly pushing for more and more and more... and I wonder if they have never read the classics... and have they never seen the meaningful films? By the age of 45 they will be deeply in debt, deeply unhappy and will have a family that is disconnected and strained. I honestly believe that people press on in life with only the fairy tales in mind. They know only the romantic stories of happy ever after and therefore think that starting a family and buying a home is one long tale of love and bliss.
                For me the only life is one of solitude, music, literature, film, thought, contemplation, and alcohol. It is one that people do not understand and yet I believe that I have more fun than most people I know. Sure, they all go on their two international family vacations every year... and what is the joy? The pure joy in going somewhere is the potential... the potential for the unknown; a chance encounter, a passionate kiss, a night spent talking to a stranger on the beach, a random drunken dance with laughter surrounded by unknown faces... these are the things that make life enjoyable. Please do not tell me that these things are even remotely possible in marriage and with children.
                In a few words I am able to bring silence. And the words that result in silence are always nothing but the truth. People do not want truth; they want to know that some divine intervention is orchestrating their life with a wonderful plan for a happy ending. I almost can’t write that without laughing. But life can be enjoyable even without the safety net of fairy tales.
                And then you have to spend a night alone... and god forbid it be a Friday or a Saturday... oh the treachery of it all. How could you possibly spend one night the way I spend almost every night of my existence? What will you tell your friends and colleagues on Monday morning? You had a quiet weekend? Surely not. Anything but that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego & Las Vegas

no reply

winter