christmas science



Christmas Day is always an interesting one. It’s a day upon which we often scramble to our friends and family facing chaos of weather and mind only to avoid that which society deems unacceptable; to be alone on Christmas day. As an atheist I do find the concept fascinating. In spite of my atheism, I have always been fond of Christmas... simply because it is a time that most people on the planet are not at work and because it is the one day of the year that people generally find it acceptable to consume alcohol to a point of intoxication. I have spent a number of Christmases in various places and with different and sometimes strange people. In 1999 I spent Christmas day in Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA, with a family I had met online and had only just physically met. It was a great time even if unusual. In 2001 I spent Christmas in Surrey, England, with the family of my then housemate. I’d only just met the family and it was a very difficult experience to sit in their living room as they all opened presents (they’d bought a few items for me too) whilst realising I was the outsider invited along so as not to be alone. Since then, I’ve spent Christmas alone a few times and have enjoyed these days too, days I spent watching films, going for walks, reading books and so on. I’ve spent Christmas days with friends, like last year when I drove to Croydon, or some place that seemed miles away and difficult to get to, to spend the day with two friends I’ve known for many years.
This year, thus far, I have spent the day alone, but shall soon venture out to Bramley to spend the day with my friend and his sister whom I have never before met. There is no doubt, however, that my dream Christmas is one that I get to spend with my parents who live in South Africa. I have spent some many Christmases in South Africa that hot summer sun and swimming pools feel like the Christmas norm for me.
                In spite of my enjoyment of Christmas, I am still repulsed each time someone refers to it as the birthday of Jesus. It’s up to them to believe what they want and to find strength in that belief, it is just that I feel such disappointment when I discover that someone I am hoping to get to know better, someone who is young and beautiful, displays their belief in fantasy fiction. They believe in misinterpreted metaphors as historical fact. In spite of modern education and reading material, they cling to these ancient beliefs. Theists claim that Luke was a doctor and that, as a result of this, his writings in the bible were based on his independent study and scientific analysis and are therefore fact. Luke... who writes of the virgin Mary. I’m sorry Luke, and followers of Luke, Mary was not a virgin. But it is okay, I understand your need to hide the harsh reality of one man’s wife falling pregnant by another man. Like death, it is not easy to take and in the same way that you cushion the fear of death by believing in an eternal life in heaven, so you cushion the blow of an affair by claiming Mary to be a Virgin. ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.’ Is it possible that Mary was raped? The pain of such a thing would also be hidden in the tradition of religion and its desire to mask the pains of everyday reality.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego & Las Vegas

no reply

winter