You know it's you.


It was with trepidation that I picked up Morrissey’s Autobiography. I feared that it might be excessively petulant or perhaps, dare I even say it, poorly written. However, as it turns out, the book is a wonderful work of art with a fine poetic prose throughout punctuated with Morrissey’s customary turn of phrase in which he inverts the expected and surprises us in the most delightful of ways. The tale weaves us through a wide variety of emotions and through the use of the present tense we are forced to feel every one of them along the way with Morrissey. 

This book made me grateful to have recently become a train commuter because the 45 minutes of travel each morning and again each evening gave me the time to devour the pages. I found myself sitting at work and counting down the moments to that point at which I would once more be able to open the book and lose myself in the life of Morrissey. A wonderful read containing some valuable life lessons.

‘I can see through the human heart, and I know that life’s biggest prize is to have the day before you as yours to do with as you wish.’ (p. 397)

‘She does not plan to waste her life making tea for in-laws.’ (p.421)

‘Finally aware of ourselves as forever being in opposition, the solution to all predicaments is the goodness of privacy in a warm room with books.’ (p. 439)

And this wonderful inclusion:

'The thoughts of others
Were light and fleeting,
Of lovers’ meeting
Or luck or fame.
Mine were of trouble,
And mine were steady;
So I was ready
When trouble came.

            A. E. Housman'          (p. 354)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego & Las Vegas

no reply

winter