time zone

I realised only tonight, or captured for the first time, that I have a love for things that are unnecessary. Things such as a little paved path to a door leading from a pavement, enveloped in railings, designed simply for aesthetic beauty. This describes my love of literature and art and why I occasionally fail to see something considered deadly serious in the corporate world as serious… things such as wearing shoes or producing a report that will not feed the hungry masses, that will not save the whales, that will not do away with air pollution and most certainly will not enlighten nor enrich the masses.

And yet, as I arrive home, having walked through snow and icy winds, have a shower, slip into shorts and flip flops, it does not escape me how many of my dreams I have achieved in recent years and how grateful I am for the life that I have. First, I moved back to my home, England. Then, the opportunity to move to Madrid and live a magical three years came. I travelled Europe and made many trips to Africa. I joined a band, sang for them in concerts and recorded an album with them. Then, after travelling to the USA many times over the years, having dreamed about living there and contemplating the option for most of my life, I now live in the USA. I sometimes still can’t believe that. It’s not always easy but it is a place where I can be myself and develop my interests as well as my career.

Now I find myself walking through Davis Square and I’m receiving messages from Scotland… my friends are having a party there and thinking of me. It fills me with simultaneous joy and sadness. Joy to be able to message Scotland instantly and painlessly even though I am so far away. Sadness because I am not with them and, what’s more, I am five hours behind them. I think of going into one of the David Square bars to drink to them (and with them, virtually) but realise that I am meeting the scientists later for drinks and a late night… if I start now I am screwed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego & Las Vegas

no reply

winter