madrid


I've been traveling so much of late that I've not had a chance to write. So, here, upon this flight from Madrid to London, I'll pen a few words. So much comes to mind that I’m almost at a loss. It feels great… familiar and strange to be back in Madrid. The city that was home for three years and still feels like a home is a wonderful place and yet, as always, people can be disappointing. Traveling, seeing friends, vacation, it should be one of the greatest moments of my life, and it is, but I'm also suffering an inescapable sadness. I'm plagued by horrific thoughts. Thoughts of war, of death, of heartbreak, of the way we treat animals, of poverty and starvation, neglect and abuse. It's not helped by the turbulence that keeps interrupting my writing on this plane.
                  Back in Madrid now after an incredible John Moreland concert in London on Monday and then a Micah P Hinson concert in Madrid on Tuesday night. Today, Wednesday, is one for quiet walking and contemplation. The forecast was rain so I thought I was safe but as I sat in la Latina and drank white wine the sun ravaged my face once more. Nevertheless, Madrid is very special. It’s architecture, it’s people, it’s lifestyle… the place oozes peace and ease. It’s a place where it would be easy to drink one’s self to death and yet that is rare here. Even the relationship to alcohol is one of celebration and friendship rather than the self-destructive one that we have in England or in the US. Having said that, I have a few heavy days of partying ahead of me and I know that when I get home after this trip I will require some serious recovery time.
                  Viva Madrid. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego & Las Vegas

no reply

winter