she


We’d woken up and sat around drinking coffee and doing nothing for hours. The weather was dreadful but I suggested we go for a walk. I gave her one of my woolly hats and she looked wonderfully beautiful with it on. We walked hand in hand, partly to steady each other, as the pavements were covered in ice. It was raining and I kept slipping, she didn’t slip at all (better balance?). Never the less, we continued to walk. It was insanity and it was wonderfully romantic. We reached Davis Square Station and she went home to see her cat whilst I went home to shower and spend some time alone. Later that night we met for dinner in an American diner and after a few beers and a cocktail, we bought some wine and went back to her apartment. She said that she wanted me to meet her cat… and I wanted to meet her cat… but, more so, I wanted to spend time with her. The apartment was relatively small but very pleasant with beautiful views of the surrounding streets and the Cambridge skyline. She asked if I’d like to watch a film but I reminded her that she had just told me she does not own a television. ‘That’s okay, I have a projector.’ She started to pile books onto a chair upon which she would rest the projector. I took the one she was holding from her hands and discovered that it was her PhD thesis. ‘I knew my PhD would come in handy one day’ was her hilarious comment. I was impressed. I was in the home of a neuroscientist. This, I realized, was not really unusual in Cambridge, most of my friends were scientists. She placed the projector on top of her PhD and connected it to her laptop. We started to watch a very strange Argentinian film set in the 70s but became distracted by each other before long. Between kisses and a passion play on the couch, we sipped red wine from martini glasses (the only ones that she had). Her cat kept climbing onto me and eventually settled next to me on the couch. A beautiful black thing that looked even more serious than most cats, perhaps as a result of his black fur and eyes. It was getting late and I knew that the lady had to fly to Toronto in the morning whereas I had a craving for my own bed. I called a taxi, kissed her goodnight, and went home. In hindsight I should have asked to spend the night. She returns the day after tomorrow and I am very excited to see her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego & Las Vegas

no reply

winter