Punk Paradox

During this Christmas break, I have been fortunate enough to read the memoir of one of my life-long heroes: Greg Graffin’s Punk Paradox. I have found the book to be truly astonishing and ultimately inspiring. Having discovered Bad Religion in 1993, when they had already been around 13 years and had seemingly accomplished so much, I assumed them to be supremely confident, comfortable, and truly in control of their own destiny. Therefore, it was a surprise to me to read of Graffin’s frequent periods of doubt and concern about his own relevance and impact. Equally surprising was my discovery that the band was frequently going through complex periods of difficult decisions and choices during which heavy sacrifices had to be made (Graffin dropping out of his PhD and co-founder, Gurewitz, leaving the band to focus on his record company, for example). Not only that, but their personal lives were also deeply impacted by their touring schedule and lifestyle imbalances even when sacrifices were made. It should not have surprised me, we are all human beings and a part of being human is self-doubt, confidence crises, fear, and anxiety… but, having seen Bad Religion in many countries, multiple times since 1998, and witnessing Graffin’s immensely confident and professional demeanor on stage, I somehow assumed that he and this band had risen above ordinary human traits. The book has motivated me to try to be a better person for myself and for all those around me with whom I come into contact each day and beyond.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego & Las Vegas

no reply

winter