mac sabbath

 I survived San Diego and the return to work, but the following weekend arrived with trepidation. I knew that Monday meant a very early start to take the train to the University of North Texas in Dallas to attend my Citizenship ceremony. I was starting a new job and knew that Wednesday brought with it a presentation that I had to give to our global legal team about artificial intelligence. Immediately after, I had to rush to apply for my passport. The day after that I was to give another presentation to an audience of around 300 people. Thursday also saw the arrival of a friend who I had not seen for a long time from New Hampshire. Therefore, it was a very exciting and active time, but it was a nerve-racking time requiring a great deal of research, organisation, patience, and determination. 

                  The ceremony went well and was an immensely proud moment for me. For many years, in my late teens and early twenties, I had looked to American literature, music, culture, geography, and history with great fascination and had wanted to live in the United States. But it seemed so far away, such a distant dream. I was from a small insular town in England and had moved to South Africa. Years later, to receive a certificate of naturalisation was really an emotional moment. 

                  The presentations went well, too, and Friday arrived with a great sense of accomplishment. By Saturday, we were in Deep Ellum on a pub crawl and sampling all that Texas life has to offer. The grand finale of the day being a concert by Mac Sabbath during which I nearly died laughing. 

                  What a time. What a life. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego & Las Vegas

no reply

winter