Car Park Armageddon
Stepping outside for a moment, hoping for a quiet view of downtown Dallas… there is a person standing on the roof, looking down at me, a car darts past me on its way down, then another car… but there is a car coming in, too. Oh, the entering car sees the space close to the door is open and immediately turns to dive into it. Headlights in my face, I simply give up and close the door. 9pm Sunday night, car park Armageddon. I have never seen a car park so active in all of my life. It is the 5th floor of the building, it takes 10 minutes to get up here, but I have never been outside when there is not a car coming in or going out. I go back inside, lie down on my bed, start sending some text messages, but nobody replies… perhaps they are driving in and out of a car park somewhere, too.
Monday midday in the pool with a book. It’s the kind of break that you can’t take when you are in the office. I guess that is why companies want people in the office. We don’t want people being too happy or believing they are free. I think that every working person around the world should have, at a minimum, a hybrid schedule that allows a mix of office time and remote work time. The office would work perfectly if it was treated more like a coffee shop or a bar where people come and go to socialise and connect. Remote work to focus. Initiatives like Workcation are incredible and I can’t think of anything that engages and motivates people more than this. What a wonderful thing to know that one’s company promotes and supports working from anywhere in the world (as long as it is safe and legal) for several weeks.
Our first question should always be ‘how do we make life better in as many ways as possible for as many people as possible?’ Why do we try so hard to say ‘when I was your age…’ and then spout off how we had to walk with a broken leg over snow covered mountains to get to a job at 4am and work until 9pm with no shoes and no coat for 1c per hour? Why do people want others to suffer simply because life and work sucked in the past? Make it better.

Comments
Post a Comment