disintegration
Trying to describe a ‘pram’ to an American colleague… what’s the word? The thing you push a baby in. ‘A stroller’. Yes, a stroller. And the baby has a dummy. What’s a dummy? Hmm, the thing you give to a baby to calm it. ‘A pacifier?’ Ah, yes, a pacifier.
A weird conversation that I had yesterday that made me feel like I was speaking to someone who spoke a different language. In many other ways, Americans and English can be very similar. Today is one of those days I feel grateful to be where I am… in Texas. The heat can be insane, and then we have severe ice storms in winter, but, in general, the weather is good.
I ventured out to Midori Sushi for lunch and had to struggle with guilt as the cat was under my car, asleep, and I had to wake her up to safely move her to another cool and shaded spot. The sushi was incredible, the atmosphere was great, and I even had a Sapporo beer to celebrate life. Oddly, when I left, a wave of sorrow hit me as I thought of all those people who are suffering and struggling with different things all around the world. The human condition can really slap us all in the face from time to time.
The late afternoon is supposed to bring a gathering of colleagues for drinks, but I feel deeply demotivated for this after an almost sleepless night last night. The dark cloak of 3am brought with it, once more, haunting thoughts of the past and people who have disappeared. Eventually, I got up and looked through some old photos. Photos can serve as enemies at times when they tell us that we should have taken an opportunity or made a slightly different decision. They also remind us of the passing of time and the disintegration of so much love, hope, and connection.
Midori Sushi

Comments
Post a Comment