enochlophobia
As soon as a crowd forms, I need to disappear.
I cycled over to the Toyota Music Factory and had a frozen Margarita with the lovely Irma at Gloria’s. Contemplating my next step, I got sunburn whilst trying to decide… and eventually cycled over to The Ginger Man, my regular local pub. It was just one couple and me and it was wonderful. Then, like magic, groups and couples started to arrive in droves. I no longer felt at peace and so I went to the bar, paid, and left. And yet, after a few hours, I ventured back out to the night market at the music factory and the bar that is there, The Reservoir. It was spectacular. Live music, beautiful people, a pleasant atmosphere. Even so, I did not stay too long, of course. The crowd becomes overwhelming.
The morning arrives, hungover, and takes me outside to the cat, a little later than usual, she’s waiting in a position where it seems she is wondering whether or not I will arrive and she is about to decide to try her next move. It’s a great pleasure to see her every morning and to watch her eat. Fundar is her name, the wisest and calmest cat I have ever encountered. Fundar is Spanish for ‘found’, which I think is appropriate for her.
The hangover grows with increasing fury. I was aware that it would arrive even as I drank last night, but it has been so long since I went out in the night that I thought I would simply go along with it. As a madman would say… ‘it was worth it.’ And, for some reason, the craving of the last few days is strong… for soup dumplings. I have been reluctant to go to Fortune House, the Shanghai Kitchen because it is where I always went with my friend, Jill, who passed away last year. But I need to try to get over that and revisit. Today might be the day.
The Reservoir, Toyota Music Factory

Comments
Post a Comment