Ojos Locos
In my final year of high school, we took great risks… in our final exams we passed around notes. However, these notes had nothing to do with the exams, my closest friends and I had formed a band and we were sharing lyrics. We were trying to form a humorous metal band, we called ourselves Grandfathers of Destruction (GOD). This particular day, I received the note and opened it… I read the opening lines and could not contain my laughter… ‘I pull out my sword and Satan crawls in fear.’ We risked expulsion from the final moment of high school graduation and all for the desire to share lyrics that were beyond absurd.
Our peers were experimenting with drugs and alcohol, we were travelling out into the darkest downtown and going to extreme concerts and raves and nightclubs. The next day we’d show up to school in a daze of exhaustion and lack of sleep. I was by no means a party person, I was actually more of a well-behaved scholar, but I decided to spend some time in my final year of high school experiencing things. I didn’t drink, I didn’t take drugs, but I enjoyed experiencing the mystery of a night club in the middle of a dangerous downtown.
Today required a visit to Ojos Locos to lift the spirit after terrible soccer results. It’s also a continuation of doing the thing that most people I know would not dare to do. Ojos is a Mexican restaurant for the real working class; the construction workers, the plumbers, the gardeners, they are the clientele, and I love that. Great people, great food, and a great environment. And now, at home, watch Celta Vigo and remembering the days in Madrid when I was a part of the Celta supporters club and went to all of their away games (in Madrid and beyond) because the band that I was in was from Vigo. I was fortunate enough to visit Vigo many times with them, a beautiful city.
Me, singing for The Handicaps, at Palmer Fest, Vigo (2017)

Comments
Post a Comment