red rose, white rose

 Red rose, white rose… a beautiful tale… a traditional male and a flirtatious married female. A tale that seems written for me, and one that was found by pure luck. I’d ordered a book by Eileen Chang simply because I remembered enjoying the one that was on my shelf, Love in a fallen city, one that I had read as a part of my studies. Whilst waiting for the new book to arrive, I picked up the older one and discovered there was one short story at the end that I had not read. My bookmark, a ticket from Sorolla House museum in Madrid, was in the book at the beginning of the story. I started to read it and fell in love with every poetic, rebellious, unconventional word and line. I have also fallen in love with the character, Jiaorui. It has really whet my appetite for the new book that has arrived, Half a lifelong romance. I did feel sad at the end for Wangli and her daughter. People deserve better from their relationships than neglect.

                  The moon punctuates the deep blue sky at 7:30am and hovers over the pool like a special effect. It’s beautiful. It brings about a sense of awe. Life lingers a little less chaotically this week as many European colleagues are on vacation. Of course, the ones who are working are grumpy and firing out requests for status and looking for excuses to escalate people. The real world is unreal. Some form of sickness remains and as I rise to look in the mirror, I hardly recognize the face I see. 

                    Finishing Red rose, white rose, I read the brief summary of Eileen Chang’s life. As she got older, she became increasingly reclusive and was eventually found dead in her apartment in Los Angeles at the age of 74… on my 22nd birthday. Interestingly, Charles Bukowski, another of my literary idols, died the year before that, also in Los Angeles, at the age of 73. I am not sure if I will make it to that age, but they will eventually find me alone in my apartment, too, only no one will ever know or care.


Writing in a hotel room in Virginia Beach, Virginia. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

it's not someone else's fault.

big foot beats Jesus

their envy