solitude


Tonight the rain falls heavily. It has done so all day long. It is beautiful and a bit scary at the same time. Possibly scary because my apartment in Madrid leaked so frequently when it rained this heavily. I lie here tonight and wonder if the people living on the top floor of this building are facing leaks. Looking out of the window I see the rain fall past the light and the scene reminds me of that from an old film, The Omen. Living in Madrid there was a perpetual blue sky and the streets and parks were constantly dry. I often longed for rain and grey skies reminiscent of those of my home, England. Here in New England, the fluctuations are quite dramatic. Rain, sun and snow often appearing in the same day. It is wonderful even if there are days like yesterday when my friends in Madrid video call me and show me the stretching blue horizon whilst I walk along the wind battered streets of Cambridge. I walked these beautiful streets capturing scenes of America and those symbols that I feel most represent it such as the colours and materials of the houses… the cars… the electrical cables. I walked to Davis Square where I stopped at the Harpoon Brewery bar for a beer. It astonished me that they were showing the Boston Red Sox on one screen, the Boston Bruins on another and the Masters Golf on a third. What’s more, the bar was filled with women. I felt content as I sipped a Harpoon IPA and gazed out into the street watching passers by whilst occasionally looking up to check on the Ice Hockey score. I finished the beer and sauntered home towards blissful solitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego & Las Vegas

no reply

winter