D. Roots.

 She’s beautiful and alluring, always looking and smiling. I call her ‘Dark’. She’s as white as snow. Her hair is long and light with dark roots. Let’s call her Ms. D. Roots. The last time I saw her she was wearing a large, grey, t-shirt with ‘Texas’ printed in red on the front. She looked loveably adorable. When I’m there, she looks over frequently and, each time our eyes meet, she smiles… and so do I.

I saw her again this weekend and she was wearing a Texas Rangers t-shirt. She smiled and waved hello as I arrived. I ate comforting southern foods and felt completely relaxed and at home as I allowed myself to be mesmerised. I was supposed to be in Boston, but after 6 hours in the airport on Thursday, with endless delays, my flight was finally cancelled. On Friday, the flight was once more delayed and, as I left to head to the airport on the train, the flight was cancelled once more. I felt a sense of relief mixed with frustration… relief because, when the flight was delayed again, I felt a sense of doom. I had been flicking through photos during the day and they seemed to be throwing up a random collection of my mother and ex-girlfriends, along with other memorable moments, and I felt that my life was literally flashing before my eyes. Frustration because I was excited to see old friends and places, and this was suddenly no longer possible.

Thus, the weekend was spent frequenting regular haunts. However, I did not go to my local and most regular place, The Ginger Man. It’s not that I am against it, the people there, mostly, are great, but sometimes you just need to be in different environments. I am also a little bit saddened by the fact that one of the managers, who has become a friend, is no longer there. He brought a good craziness to the place that I fear may be lost. There are some environments in Dallas that make you feel like you reign in Hell… and this was what I needed this weekend. Debauchery is sometimes required and desired.

At the same time, storms ravished the land, the rain and wind were so relentless that even the balcony door frame in my apartment started to spray water out like a waterfall. I had to use the recycle bin to prevent a flood. On these days, flashing lightning and rolling thunder sing a siren song at 3am and keep us all awake. Some people sleep through this, I don’t know how.

Today I walked to the office in the rain at 7am. I left at midday and did more work in three hours in the afternoon at home than I did in five hours in the office in the morning.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego & Las Vegas

no reply

winter