forgotten memories

 In researching pictures and places and searching through notes for traces of the places I went and the words that were used I discovered something completely removed from my memory. This discovery was that, when I had been in Hollywood, it was to fulfil a dream of seeing Bad Religion at the Hollywood Palladium, a dream I’d had since they released a DVD of the same in 2004… but the thing that had completely slipped from my mind was that I saw them there two nights in a row. Seeing the pictures revived the memory of how it had happened. I had gone with one ticket to one night but, while I was there, they added a second show, so I decided to buy tickets and go again. I had not done this, like a groupie, since I lived in England and I watched Bad Religion in London on Friday night, close to my home, and then took the train to Manchester, close to where I was born, to watch them the following night at Manchester University. Before the Manchester show, I met Greg Hetson, a legend, and had a long discussion in one of the university halls where the two of us had bumped into each other whilst exploring the building. 

                  Several times my notes, journals, blogs, and photos have served to correct my memory or to even replace something that was completely erased. It’s an aspect of life, and memory, that fascinates me. Perhaps we can chart our own path to insanity? Could we prevent it or merely leave a record for scientists to utilise as we scream in a tight white jacket in a padded room? It re-emphasizes the idea that a journal is essential. Not only does it help you to build creative skills and work through complications, it also serves as a record for posterity, something to look back on and re-live moments from years gone by. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

it's not someone else's fault.

their envy

french night