O Convento
The day began too soon. Now the second mimosa sits before me. To be factual, this one is a Poinsette. The bench is in the German style and provides the perfect place to write and drink and see the outside world and all of its inhabitants. It is a truly beautiful day. The lovely and lively Abi serves me drinks and dreams as we drown in an ever-increasing fog of inebriation and heat. Finally, I retreat… back to the pool in a hope to cool down. ‘Hello British’ a voice calls at the pool, a lady I had not seen was sitting behind a bed of plants and a palm tree. After reading in the water for a while, I venture back to my apartment and pour a beer, contemplate going back out, but decide to just stay home and watch The Mandalorian and Grogu. It was silly but entertaining.
Second day of the weekend and another early start, simply because sleep eludes me. After dreams of AI, I awake to thoughts of someone I met on the last day of August in 2017, in Madrid, on my first trip back there after leaving. It appeared to be love at first sight and the night turned into a very romantic one. There was no sleep. For a while afterwards it seemed that she would move to the US to be with me for a while, but life changed very rapidly in the coming months for both of us. What strikes me the most is that that was already nine years ago. My beard is now grey, and she is married with children.
During that visit to Madrid, I also flew to Galicia and played two concerts with the band that I was in at the time. They were two vastly contrasting shows. The first was in a venue that had the loudest volume I had ever heard in my life. It was so loud that it was literally impossible to watch bands. We were the ‘headlining’ band and I think we managed to lower the volume in time for our show but, by then, many people had given up and left. The second show was ‘live and unplugged’ in the park and it was wonderful. It was a clam day time performance in a beautiful park surrounded by a small audience.
Life.
The Handicaps. O Convento, Galicia, Spain, 3 September 2017

Comments
Post a Comment