Twins
The gym twins linger daily at the pool. The first encounter with them was during a fierce storm. I had retreated to the gym to walk because it was impossible to go outside. It was a classic Texas storm; winds of fury and horizontal rain threatening to destroy all within its wake, punctuated by deafening thunder and lightning. In these storms, instant flash floods bring life to a standstill as all moving objects shelter in place, embrace and wait. I was astonished by the similarity of the twins, as I still am today. It is impossible to tell one from the other. Identical hair, faces, legs, etc. It’s difficult to determine their age… I’d say mid-twenties. Each day at lunch time they light up the pool and occasionally draw a crowd.
For a period of time, I sit on my balcony and work, but the heat is stifling (how are the gym twins surviving in the sun? I am dying in the shade) and I am demotivated. I am constantly caught in this deep contemplation of the freedom to live versus the need to earn money. I utilise modern tools and working methods that allow me more flexibility than I could possibly hope for, and yet I still yearn for more freedom. Added to this, I see society as a whole still existing in some form of food chain where some members bully others into sacrificing all of their time… the bullies usually desire nothing else but to reign in their kingdom and be away from home as much as possible, they emotionally and mentally blackmail people into giving up their lives. How dare someone dream of a vacation or time off?
As I get up to walk, after reading a ghostly scene in Manazuru, I start to wonder if the cat in the building is a ghost… a ghost sent to keep me bound, for some reason, to this building, city, state. There is talk of the cat distribution system... for some reason, I was distributed a cat that refuses to come inside and keeps my heart firmly gripped within its paws and claws.
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment