Work from Bar (WFB)

 Sleep is a distant daydream… only a daydream because I don’t sleep enough to dream of it. It’s 03:38am and the temperature is 29 degrees C (84F). The cat is hiding; I just walked out onto the roof to see if I could see her. However, there is a beautiful full moon and the Dallas skyline in the distance is showing off an array of colours. I have a meeting at 6am, which doesn’t help. Opening the fridge at 4am, I see a bottle of Aperol, and it looks like fruit juice, I almost take a swig. Sanity prevails and I reach for the milk to add to my coffee. I stare at a sentence for fifteen minutes, remove a comma, then I add it back and close the laptop. 

                  Walking to the office in the 5am darkness, I think that I am clever in wearing soccer shorts to remain as cool as possible, but as I step into the office, I discover that I have left my trousers at home in the bag I had placed them in to easily carry. I join two meetings in soccer shorts and then escape to go back home. Weariness clogs and fogs my mind like a winter day in the English countryside and I struggle to focus on anything… just trying to make it through menial tasks that are required and set my ‘out of office’ to come on at midday. I hate the term ‘out of office.’ It should be ‘no longer online’ or ‘offline on holiday.’ When I take vacation, this is the status I set ‘OOH – Offline on Holiday’ because ‘work is a verb and not a noun.’ It is something we do, not a place we go to, and work can be done from anywhere… even the bar. 


 Ruins, Deep Ellum, Dallas, Texas. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

it's not someone else's fault.

big foot beats Jesus

their envy