birthday blogger

 At the airport with a hangover. Even breakfast was a disaster… I ate too soon and, hoping to get rid of my mushrooms and eggs, I made an omelette. I still feel sick and full. The flight is delayed due to a technical issue, but we finally make it. When we land, the gate is occupied by another plane. Eventually, we are directed to another gate, but they do not yet have staff ready. In the end, I make it to the bus and get back to my hotel, check in, and find my way to the ‘best of the bay’ harbour cruise. I booked the wrong one but it turns out to be a decent mistake because the cruise is a really enjoyable one. It just means that my traditional trip was somewhat blemished. After the cruise, I was even more delighted to discover that my favourite sunset bar across from the hotel is not closed as Google Maps suggested but has just changed its name. It still exists with the same great beers, cocktails, and staff. 

                  Today is my birthday, the main thing that prompted me to visit my favourite city. It feels great to be back here, to be financially comfortable, to be able to observe my surroundings, interact with strangers, and follow my own interests at my own pace. It’s also a time for reflection, as is any trip or birthday. I think of birthdays spent in bed, or on a trip, with a lover. I think of times I spent my birthday with my parents, both as a child living at home and also as an adult traveling to see them. Being older means that things change. People realise that you are happy in your solitude and they stop hoping for more, they disappear. Some friends and family are no longer around… they celebrated their final birthday a while ago. I am grateful to be here and to be able to enjoy a trip like this, but I also realise that each of us is alone to face our daily toils, pains, fears, and hopes alone. The older we get, the more forgotten we become, because it is very difficult to light up someone’s life when your own light is starting to fade. 


Raspberry Mojito, Dockside, San Diego

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

it's not someone else's fault.

big foot beats Jesus

their envy