in contrast
A leaf is cast down in its brown autumnal coat. It is stood upon and crackles as it breaks. The water beside it, in contrast, appears to be a magnificent blue. The light has changed and there is less sun, but the heat remains, making the water inviting and refreshing without being cold. It soothes me during a break from work on my first day back after a week of vacation. Sitting at the desk in my home office I felt like I was starting to burn my brain and fall asleep. So many thoughts about time and retirement. All the while knowing that I am fortunate. Nevertheless, time is like water, it is a finite resource, and we are like the leaf… we fall gently to the ground and get crushed under the sole of a relentless machine that never stops.
And yet, existence is always a contrast. Yesterday, as I sat at the local bar casually catching up with people, a lady walked in and sat beside me. She starting to contribute to the conversation and, as it seemed we had a lot of musical interests in common, she moved closer and we continued to discuss. We also had something of a darker nature in common; divorce. When two divorcees meet in a bar, it can be quite a bonding commonality. She finished her drink and I bought her a second one. When she finished that one, she said that it was nice to meet and left. Before that, she had told us that she also works and lives in our little community. It was very pleasant to meet someone like this and to know that interesting and random meetings can still occur.

Comments
Post a Comment