of the people, by the people, for the people

 Two years ago, today, I became an American citizen. It was a great moment, a lifelong goal and dream, and at a time that the country seemed to be progressing towards a more loving and globally connected future. I was able to vote for the first time and, whilst my dad was visiting for the first time, we went to the local voting centre and I cast my vote for Harris. I then flew to India on business. I was a little bit nervous about the trip and about my new role leading a vastly technical team, but I was also grateful to get to see India for the first time and I was still on a high from becoming a dual American British citizen. Then, whilst in India, election night came. I stayed awake all night in excitement and anticipation… and ended the night depressed and fighting back tears. I had to cancel my day and stay in my room in mourning. It felt like a death. At a very minimum, the death of four years for the entire US population and, undoubtedly, all of those around the world who would be needlessly impacted by cruelty and stupidity. 

So far, two years have been stolen from us. Two years of stress and strife and negative headlines on a daily basis… endless crisis and turmoil and bad news. Some who voted for the current admin lost their jobs not long after the government they voted for introduced tariffs that caused globally companies to panic about economic instability. When that finally settled, the government started a war that continues today and is causing oil prices to rise on a daily basis. To combat the resulting inflation, interest rates rise, this causes the stock market to lose value and real estate turmoil. And yet, when I ask them, their reply is ‘he is doing a great job.’ Or, more often, total silence… because how could they ever admit they made a mistake or take responsibility for anything that is negative?

For many months I was planning to return to Europe. Then, somehow, I found resolve and strength in the good people that I see in so many places. Hope began to restore and I decided to stay to fight for change. Of course, mass media frenzy tries to throw us into a total panic and fear that there will not be free and fair elections and, yes, this is a possibility, a possibility that would really be the end of any faith in global democracy and stability. However, I have to have hope and faith in a government of the people, by the people, for the people. If it can be restored, it is a beautiful thing. I have travelled all around this country and have seen too much that is good to lose hope because of a few that are bad even if they have tremendous wealth and power. 

Let us stick together in hope and strength. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

it's not someone else's fault.

big foot beats Jesus

their envy