solitude and simplicity
As a child, even when things went badly wrong, I always felt that, with my family together, we could make it through. My mother was great with numbers and finances, and my dad could fix anything that he put his hands on. Both of them were disciplined and determined. They seemed to find jobs relatively quickly if we moved, and then always had a plan. They saved and sacrificed and helped my brother and I in all aspects of life, whether it was helping us to get to school (although we usually walked or cycled), dealing with the stress of homework and projects, getting to sporting events, or ensuring we had the equipment we needed. The more I read about the lives of others, the more I discover how fortunate I was. We were never rich by any means, we never had fancy things, but we always had food, clothes, and a lot of fun times at home watching movies or playing soccer or cricket in the garden, or swimming (we were very fortunate to have a pool).
Looking around today, I feel heartbroken at the families I see that are broken and struggling. So many single parents looking for partners and often struggling to get by. We are caught in a period of transition whereby people are stuck between two worlds; one of tradition, of wanting children and a home and a family… then a world of wanting to be alone to pursue our own dreams of travel, creativity, financial independence, etc. Society, as a majority, still tells us that something is wrong with us if we are alone, if we don’t have children, if we are not married, if we have not bought a house. Personally, I feel like I have found the keys to happiness in solitude and simplicity. Once again, the majority tell me that I am selfish for not having children. One could offer the counter-argument that having children is selfish. In the end… whatever works for each individual is what they should aim for. Sadly, people are largely driven by tradition and the perspective of the majority on what is right and wrong.
Comments
Post a Comment