time lapse.

 In 1999, during my first ever trip to the USA, I stayed with a couple that employed me for a few months at their small company. I spent hours searching for that address today and couldn’t find it in any old journals or notes. Then, like magic, I found an email from them from 2009 saying the house had been demolished in 2008. I went to google maps and was looking for familiar road shapes in the street and as I was sliding along a few yards at a time, the Google Maps photos suddenly jumped from 2026 to 2011 and, there it was, a house disappeared (the new one) showing the empty space where the old one used to be. Just one frame, a time lapse, showing the gap and allowing me to put the pieces of the puzzle together. 

It is incredible that, at the time, I was desperate to move to the US, but it seemed absolutely impossible. Seventeen years later, I moved to the US through work and, twenty-seven years later, I now live just over four hours south of where I lived in Tulsa. Sadly, there is only one person from that time that I am still in contact with and, oddly, she is the one that I most longed for when I lived there… something of a celebrity at the time. It’s been a twenty-five year distant romance that has never come to fruition. 

Finally, Monday night, sushi, a soothing beer to erase the words read and heard throughout the day. I strive simply to make peace with this place and time and to try to convince myself, and others, that we are not going to die as a result of global powers coming into conflict due to super egos not letting go. The beautiful people at Midori Sushi make me feel that life is better… that it is what we make it. Their food is delicious and fresh, their staff are amazing, and the place is so humble and wonderful. 

Thank you. 


Seaweed Salad, Midori Sushi, Las Colinas, Texas. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

it's not someone else's fault.

big foot beats Jesus

their envy