creating against the odds.

 Each time I post a video on YouTube, I lose subscribers. The funny thing about that is that most people never unsubscribe from anything. That means that my video merely appearing on their feed must annoy them so much that it prompts them to launch it just to unsubscribe. Or do people simply have a habit each day of going through their subscribers list and cleaning it up? I hope they do the same for all of their movie and music and game and random costly subscriptions. 

                  The fact remains, I love the process of creating YouTube videos. They force me to research books that I have read in the past or to openly talk about things that are bothering me, they help me to practise speaking to an audience, they prompt me to analyse books that I am listening to, and they also force me to learn about video and audio editing. Often, when I am chatting to friends in the evenings or on weekends, they tell me they are playing video games. I also look at colleagues when I am in the office and see them scrolling, doomscrolling, on their phones. I feel proud to be reading or writing or producing something with some level of educational value or entertainment value. 

                  The YouTube channel and my Podcast also help me to feel connected in some way to a larger community. This is ironic, too, because I am essentially speaking to myself in an empty room and receiving very little feedback other than those who unsubscribe. It makes me smile and almost laugh at myself as I write that. I have seen similar videos receive thousands of views and ‘likes’. However, they tend to be videos done by a young and good-looking man or woman. Perhaps I am too old for the YouTube audience. I need OldTube. Some would say ‘you have a face for radio’, but my Podcast doesn’t do much either. 

                  Onwards and upwards. 

latest YouTube video



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

it's not someone else's fault.

big foot beats Jesus

their envy