Formidable in French
A magnificent French Queen… residing in Madrid… captured my heart and mind almost the instant that I stumbled into her lair. It was thirteen years ago, and she remains undefeated in my heart. Throned in everlasting glory, a glory that she would reject as ridiculous if I were to speak the words directly to her. That was part of the ethereal quality, part of the everlasting charm.
We had to behave because she was not single. However, on Fridays we would share links to songs that we loved, and, in many cases, those songs would have messages within them. The one that sticks out in my mind is a music video that she sent to me one morning after we had been out for drinks the night before. We had left together, pushing our bicycles, and I had helped her to put her helmet on before we said goodnight. The music video, 'Comme des enfants' by Cœur de pirate, featured a couple riding bicycles together and spending a romantic day together. The lyrics were in French, but I translated them… ‘And he still loves me, and I love you even more.’
Yesterday, being a Friday, I sent her a link to a song… ‘When she enters my dreams’ by The Menzingers. She never replied. But she knows. And she does still enter my dreams. Often appearing with her silent wisdom… a knowing look and a smile whilst I gaze in amazement and admiration. Regardless of the dream’s events, I awake aflame. Lighted by love and plagued with nostalgia. She once sent me a French song named ‘Formidable’, the French word, not the English, and so that is my nickname for her. I even wrote a song about her when I was in a band in Madrid, it was also called Formidable. When I moved to the US, I collaborated for a while with a musician in Boston and I wrote another song about her… about a night we left a nightclub together, it was actually 06:45am. To say that I was in love is an understatement.
Formidable, I miss you.
image is an AI depiction...

Comments
Post a Comment