Mental Health Day
Creativity must be done for oneself. A form of therapy that comes through the joy and hope and (sometimes) beauty of creativity. Writings that go unread. Songs or Podcasts that go unheard. Videos that go unseen. This is often the fate of the artist and the creator, but it should not deter them from doing what they love and seeking meaning through expression.
Contemplating this, it is also appropriate to mention that today is World Mental Health Day. I think it is important to recognise that, and to take some time to consider it. Even in current times, mental health is not taken seriously and many people, especially in a work environment, are still ashamed to raise the concern or express their needs in terms of mental health. Often, when they do, leaders respond as if it doesn’t exist. Especially those who are being told that everything sensitive is ‘woke’ or ‘fake’. In a world that became more flexible and seemed to be opening into a more balanced future only to see dramatic changes at the end of 2024 and the beginning of 2025 that plunged us into a world that said ‘we no longer care, just shut up and do as you are told’, mental health is more important than ever.
I do it no good by watching English soccer. Every weekend my mental health is destroyed. My team is bottom of the third division. They have not scored a goal in four games. It’s becoming increasingly painful. So I ride my bicycle to the bar, craving pizza, but Oklahoma and Texas are playing each other in the American college football, so the place is packed. Assured that the Salvadorian restaurant will be empty, I walk across the street to find that it is also extremely full. Finally, I cycle to my regular; The Ginger Man.
Cheers.
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment